Monday, September 29, 2008

THE DAY I MET PAUL NEWMAN

Many years ago Kansas City was visited by Paul Newman & his wife during the filming of MR. & MRS BRIDGES. I was working downtown and my wife was working at Fedora's on the Plaza at the time. Mr. Newman developed a fondness for Fedora's and my wife saw him there frequently. He was always friendly with the staff, liked all types of food but preferred hamburgers. He also liked his privacy. Very rarely did he ever speak to other guests or care to meet them.

I happened to be walking down the street on Baltimore one day just as he and his entourage came walking past. I knew he valued privacy, but I couldn't resist. I called out, "Mr. Newman, I watched SHADOW BOX (a movie starring his wife & directed by him) last night and it was incredible!"

To my complete surprise he stopped short and spun around asking, "Where did you see that at?"

I explained that I had rented it and asked a couple of questions about some of his choices as a director. He answered the questions and asked me a couple of questions about the film. Then the door to his trailer opened and Joann Woodward stepped out looking for him. The look on his face was incredible. You could tell that he loved her greatly. He turned back to me, flashed me that movie star grin and said, "Isn't she lovely?"

He then realized that other people has noticed us and he nodded to me, said "thank you" and walked quickly away.

I've always remembered that brief meeting. Not so much because he was famous, but because he so obviously loved her. I'm sure she knows that. I hope she also knows that his love for her was one emotion that this intensely private man didn't mind sharing with a complete stranger on the street.

Our thoughts are with you, Ms. Woodward.

God Speed, Mr. Newman.

No comments: