Thursday, July 10, 2008

AN OPEN LETTER TO MICHELLE OBAMA

Dear Ms. Obama:

My granddaughter asked me to take her to see you today at the Women's Forum in Kansas City! She's a 12 year old, bi-racial, child of a single FATHER. (Sometimes unfortunately, it's not the father's that are missing in thier children's life.) We didn't have a ticket to get in. It didn't matter to her. She just wanted the chance to see you in person. So we went.

When I asked a campaign worker where we should stand to get a glimpse of you as you entered the building, we were told to follow him. He took us inside and seated us on the front row. I will never forget how her eyes glittered when you entered. She pointed out that you were taller in person & had a great dress on. Then you began to speak.....and she began to listen.

She listened to you and she listened to the other women on the panel & in the audience. She heard women from all social levels and all walks of life talk about the problems that women face. I think it made it easier to understand why her father so often says, "we don't have the money for that". She also realized that you don't have to sit back and do nothing but accept your life as it is. She has questions for me about the event, but she want's to think about them for a while. I hope I can answer them.

I think it was an important event for her. She saw professional women who believe they can make a difference....and I think that may have made a difference in my granddaughters life. Thank you for that! Win or lose in November....today you made a difference in one person's life.

No comments: